Wednesday, January 9, 2008

"Grandma CHERYL"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHERYL!!!!!
January 10th is my mother in-laws birthday.
I really have a great mother in-law.
{SO LUCKY, I know!!}
When ever I BRAG to people about things that Cheryl does for us, or says, sometimes I get a look of shock. (UNLESS they already know her, or know what a great lady she is.)
Here are just a few fun things about CHERYL:
* She is a busy teacher.
She has taught school for a long time & she seems to truly care about all of her students.
* I love the way Cheryl explains things.
She always makes everything clear, & explains it in a way that not everyone can. When I have needed guidance or a "pick-me-up" she does it perfectly. I admire that more than she knows.
* She is so crafty.
She won't always admit it, but she totally is.
This is a picture of her helping me go over the edges of the polka dots in Ellie's old nursery.
* She is always giving service.
Even though she is so busy being a teacher, a mom, grandma, a YW Leader & ETC., she is always serving others. There have been several times that she does her service acts with out people knowing.
* She is such a good grandma.
She loves every single grand kid & tries to spend equal amount of time on/with them. Of course, she knows how to teach them in a way that I can't... so CHEERS to her for that!
This picture made me cry when I developed it. It is Ellie meeting her GRANDMA CHERYL in the hospital. Ellie was totally smiling at her, it was so sweet.


* Cheryl is such an example.

She has such a strong testimony & is always setting the example for all of us, even people she doesn't even know.

* Cheryl doesn't love the beach...
BUT she is such a sport about going, because she wants to be with her family.
I am so glad that she goes. Who knows what kind of crazy things would happen without her! {YIKES!}

* Cheryl raised 6 CRAZY boys!

Even though she wanted a daughter (and even made a stocking with her favorite name, JULIE, on it)... she never got one. She has put up with so much & made those boys hard workers & good husbands & wonderful dads! Now she has 6 daughter in-laws & 8 grand-daughters! YAHOO!!

* She does RANDOM things!

Such as... Cheryl has put old random pictures (or pieces of a picture) in with her bills when she pays them by mail. WHY? Just because.. it might cheer them up?? She kills me!

* GARAGE SALES ..... all about it!!

If I were Cheryl, I would count down the days of the week until Saturday came, so I could sleep in. BUT NOT HER! She is out bright & early a lot of Saturdays to go find some good deals. AND she loves it.

*DEALS/SAVES MONEY!

Cheryl is so smart with her budget & money. She shops year round for b-days, etc. She waits until it is the best deal until she buys. (Speaking of.. I gotta add that she comes up with such great gift ideas.)

* One of her sons is the best man on the earth!!!

Lance is her 5th son. I am so thankful for the way she raised him. Lance has such love & respect for his mom. (which always makes a great husband) He would do anything for her in a second.. and I know she would do the same!

* Cheryl loves her cabin!!

She lives at her cabin most of the summer time & visits as much as she can. It is in Strawberry. We have great memories at her cabin, and she has so many more than any of us. It was her parents cabin. It is pink & white (Lance calls it "Candy Land") just like it was for her parents. (Even though she is not in this picture, I had to share it, cause I can't find any others)



* Cheryl is so much FUN!!

"Grandma Cheryl" (as all the grand kids call her) is always happy. She has such a great attitude, which is why she is always fun to be with. Just look at her get down with the girls!

* All about TRADITIONS!

Coming from Mesa High, I am also all about TRADITIONS. (CARRY ON)

Cheryl has so many traditions that she does each month, or season, or holiday.. whatever!

Here are just a few...

Easter- she boils eggs for all of the grand kids to come decorate. Then on Easter Day, she hides money/candy eggs for all the kids to come find.


Parades- The Cummards have been in the MESA DAY PARADE so many times. She's kind of a PRO at making the floats!

Come over for FHE- besides the lesson, she has SHOW & TELL!!
Halloween- carving pumpkins!!
"Grandma's Store"- she has her "store" all set up with prices. She gives the kids fake money & has them shop for what they would like. She helps each kid count how much money they have left & it helps them know how to BUY wisely.. like her, of course!
She teaches us all about the Cummard/LeBaron Heritage.
New tradition- Candy Bar game for the kids.

There are so many more things that I love about Cheryl & look up to her for. She is always inspiring me to be a better person. I am SO THANKFUL for her & everything that she does!

Have a great birthday CHERYL!!

10 comments:

Kasey said...

WOW! That is so doc Huish and I didn't even notice you were in that picture. I've seen it before, but had ever taken that close of a look. What a great tribute! You are a great daughter-in-law.

the cummard family said...

HOLY MOLY! Yes, it's officially Cheryl and Hudson's b-day's, and now I officially dread following your Birthday post. I didn't even read it all....that will be tomorrow. She'll love it though!

•stephanie• said...

the woman has earned her crown in heaven - being the mother of six boys. wow.

Alisse Baldwin said...

I love how all of our Mothers-in-law are so much alike! We all got pretty lucky. CHEERS to that!

The Lake's said...

Hi I just barely got your comment since I havent blogged for a while but, of course I know who you are! You have the cutest family ever, you are right I can't believe how much Abby and Ellie are alike, we should get together sometime so they can play together I am sure Greg and Lance would like that too! Since they are both little boys at heart! I always love Ellie's clothes are they from your website? You are lucky that Ellie has hair I am still waiting for Abby to grow some real hair!

Hollin said...

Grandma Cheryl (my kids call her that too) is the best! Her fun games and traditions that my kids get to be apart of is wonderful. She really must be a saint to deal with all those boys. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHERYL!

kemra said...

Happy B-day! I hope she had a fantastic day - she sure deserves it!

Thanks for your help today! I can't wait to start decorating!

chris+amber said...

You're such a sweet daughter-in-law to do this for your MIL. I don't know her super well, but she seems like a very sweet lady.

Jheri said...

That was such a cute post...fun grandma! I especially loved reading all of her fun traditions!
So...we missed you at the Cinderella workshop today. I was so excited to see Ellie! You'll have to let me know if Ellie still wants to do it. We have another one on Jan. 26th.
New class this year! Kaylee will miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Michael Shanley you don't know me but i know your mother in-law. I was a former 6th grade student of hers, and i have been looking for a way to contact to her so i may share some knowledge i have acquired over the years and really to thank her. If you could e-mail me her e-mail that would be truly wonderful. My e-mail is shanleymichael@yahoo.com

Thank You,


Michael Shanley

P.S. She really does care for her students.