Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ellie's mouth surgery

Ellie had her first dentist appointment a few months ago.
It was "BAD NEWS BEARS" to say the least.
Let me back up a bit......
This past year, Ellie kept complaining about her mouth. She would wake up crying in the middle of the night & keep crying for a couple hours. OR in the day she would start crying about it, holding her mouth, etc. When we would tell other parents about this happening, all these people would tell us that she was probably getting her toddler/back molars. So, of course since she is our first (and only) child, we believed it. We bought Motrin, baby oregel, and teething medicine. STILL it was so sad. It was very obvious that Ellie really was in so much pain. After we got this insurance, I finally took her to one of the "Tooth Doctor For Kids".
At the appointment, I couldn't go back in the room with her, which made me a bit nervous. When they brought Ellie back to me, she was happy & laughing. The lady that came with her QUICKLY told me that I needed to make an appointment & that she had to have --- done, & --- done. I honestly didn't even understand what was going to be done. I know she said the word CAVITY & ROOT CANAL, but that is all I heard. Once I looked way back in her mouth, I saw 2 UH-OH'S!!! Both her back teeth were so nasty, AND SAD! One side looked like it had a whole in the middle of the tooth, & the other tooth was started to disappear on the side. I don't do well with blood, or gross things like this. (I will say she eats lots of junk-- blame Lance-- but she brushes almost every morning & night. My mother in-law always tells us that "soft teeth" run in the family.)
SO, after having an appointment & then having to reschedule, the day was finally here to get rid of all that PAIN!!
{which brings us to this past Tuesday Night}
All bathed, ready to start her fast, and ready to get her Father's Blessing.
Ellie wasn't sure if she wanted to get a father's blessing. She thought it would be scary or something. BUT, after Lance gave the blessing, she was glad he gave it to her. (and I felt so much better)

BeAd HeaD aNyOnE???
(The person that called me the day before, told me to just bring her in either her jammies or comfy clothes.)
We had to be there at 8 am. About 40 minutes later they had Ellie drink a cup of ?juice? (for .... uhh, I don't really know)
This was the part that made me so scared.
The thought of Ellie being put out...AHHHH!!!
Any parent can understand what I mean.

Before I left the room, I kept telling her over & over that I loved her & that I would be right outside waiting for her. She started to just look at me and smile, with kind of a blank stare. The assistant assured me that she was starting to go to sleep.

While I was waiting, they called me back to talk to me a few times. They told me:

"Ellie has 6 Cavities.

Here is what we are going to do, if we have enough time:

2 FILLINGS,

2 ROOT CANALS,

COMPLETELY REMOVE 2 TEETH,

AND PUT 2 SPACERS IN."

(They ended up having time for all of it that day.)

When all of the other kids came back from their rooms, they were fine. Some kids might have been holding gauze on a tooth or something, but they weren't crying or anything. They had a new sticker & a "goodie" bag from the dentist... you get it. NO TEARS.

After an hour or so, I heard a really sad cry, & the doors opened. I knew it was Ellie before I saw her. She had tears running down her cheeks & a mouth full of bloody gauze.

The smell , the blood, her crying.. I started to get a little light headed, & nauseous. The assistant kept saying stuff for me to do & not to do. I kept telling her that I felt sick, I needed to get some fresh air. She wasn't thinking I was serious, so finally I asked her to write down whatever she just told me.

As soon as we walked out of that dentist office, I started crying with Ellie. I told her , or she had to stop crying, or else I wouldn't be able to. I asked her what was making her cry. I asked "Does it hurt, were you scared when you woke up, or do you not want all that gauze in your mouth?".

She shook her head yes to everything. I told her I would take her to the store right then to get some medicine to help her feel better. I let her know I would be with her all day, & lay down and cuddle with her.. whatever she wanted.

Once she spit out the nasty gauze, she calmed down.

When we got buckled in the car, Ellie asked me

"Mom, can we play 2 of my songs? "A Girl Can't Help It" {"Clumsy"} & "Big Girl's Don't Cry"???"!!!!!

(I am pretty sure she wanted to play "Big Girls Don't Cry" for her wimpy mama) Since my I-POD is broken, I couldn't play that, but Syd made me a c.d. with Clumsy. So THANK-YOU FERGIE (and Syd) for saving the day!!!

Lance brought her a new PINK baby & Ellie was such a good mommy for her. She even fed her a bottle while she watched a movie.

(She hated leaving the gauze in her mouth, so she kept having a little crusty blood around her mouth.)

AND fell asleep while feeding her baby, too. (I couldn't resist.)

She was so peaceful & I didn't want to move her. I looked at her when she was starting to wake up & realized her mouth had started to really bleed. It was all down her chin & a puddle on her sleeve. (I didn't even think about not having her lay on the side. --WoRsT Mom EVER award--)

After a long rest, Ellie seemed fine.
Since my dad was out of town, & Auburn had a really early doctors appt., Roxy got to spend the night with my mom & ELLIE. (Roxy always make Ellie happy)

The room was PITCH BLACK when I took these. I couldn't even see if the girls were in the picture for sure. Ellie asked me "Mom, can we make silly faces?" So I told her she could. (Don't look back in her mouth, you might gag like me!)
Then, Ellie said "ONE MORE for silly faces!!"

FINE!

I was dying when I reviewed the picture!!!

The next day, we watched Noah. Ellie acted like nothing ever happened. She was even in the mood to go to DANCE & GYMNASTICS! (Never mind she had crusty blood around her mouth every once in a while.)

Side note: After gymnastics on Thursday night, we met my family at

MATTA'S on MAIN!

(tear, tear) We had just eaten it the night before, but then heard it would be closing for good that coming Saturday. (more tears) We got there at 7:30 & there was a 2 HOUR wait! We were so hungry, so we headed to El Charro. Ellie fell of her booster or something & the nice girl behind her wanted to make sure she was o.k.! (which she was) Ellie asked her if she wanted to see her mouth. As soon as I heard her, I was dying & saying "NO, ELLIE!!".... Too late. She opened her mouth... SICK.

{Sorry in advance if she tries to show anyone else!}

I don't too well with that kind of stuff.... OBVIOUSLY!!

This was such a minor surgery, compared to what so many people are going through. It was scary for me to have her put out for such a small amount of time.

My heart goes out to all those who have kids, friends, parents, spouses, siblings, or whoever else that is going through pain.

I am so glad that this surgery is over.... AND I'm especially glad that her pain is gone now.

22 comments:

Amy said...

oh my goodness Suzanne this is the saddest post EVER. I don't think I've ever read one so sad before. Our dentist told us to floss Thomas' teeth with him lying down saying "Ahhh" so we could reach between his teeth better...and I'm ashamed to say that after his first dentist appt where he had 2 cavities I do a watered down brushing with ACT so he gets fluoride on his teeth every few weeks...I got a root canal when I was 5 and it totally traumatized me so I FEEL FOR ELLIE, ugh.

MichelleY said...

What a big girl Ellie! So glad your teeth are feeling better now! I don't do well with blood, pain, etc. either - what a big day for all of you - glad you ALL made it through! Sad for Mattas - you will be missed!

•stephanie• said...

ok, here's my thought about this. i've decided that whatever you, yourself, are going through at the time is the worst. doesn't matter what others are experiencing. whatever you are in the middle of is what gets your attention, your compassion, your sympathy. and that's the way it should be. ellie is darling and she went through a big deal, and i'm so glad for her that it's over. hurray, and get better NOW!

Lisa said...

I know how you feel! Last month matt's front tooth shattered up in the gums ( it was dying from a soccer injury). So he has to go to an oral surgon and have it removed. He had to have an implant put in (a metal bar stuck in his bone to hold a fake tooth). Yeah it was not pretty. So now he has two front teeth that are implants (the other one from soccer when he was 10). Those boys and there sports!!! To say the least it was not fun and a BIG bill to pay right before Christmas. Sounds like ellie bounced right back though, just like her momma would:)

Unknown said...

Ellie is being such a good girl about it! The other night at my house she didn't complain about gargling her salt water and she did exactly what she was supposed to. I'm glad it's over and she needs to keep on telling Lance what she "says" she tells him: "No Daddy, we CAN'T go to the gas station cause I can't have junk!" (Just yesterday she told me that again.)

Mikelle said...

That is NOT fun...poor Ellie & poor Suzy! I don't like that part of being a mom-watching your kid suffer & not being able to take it away imediately. Sorry that all happened, not fun.

Jamie W. said...

OH poor Ellie that is the saddest thing ever. I am so glad she is doing better. I don't like the dentist at all. Breck is my tooth kid always eating junk he has already had 4 cavities (the most expensive baby teeth ever) :) Never had to get a root canal, she is a brave little girl.

Missy said...

OOOOOHHHH! I totally feel your pain. Brooklyn had to have that same thing done at 2 yrs. old. She also had to have her four bottom teeth and top teeth shaved down and crowned. My boys have had some massive teeth work done too. Ema & Kara = NONE...weird?! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU AS A MOM/HER BRUSHING HER TEETH...ALL GENETICS!!! In my family...it's my nasty genes. As soon as her permanent teeth come in...SEAL THEM...it will save so much $ later on. I am so like you, I can't handle much when it comes to my kids. Especially being put to "sleep". It totally makes you grateful for health. I hope is feeling better...teeth pain is THE WORST! Kara and Ellie need to play...soon.

Alisse Baldwin said...

I am just so glad it's over! Hopefully she won't wake up in the middle of the night at my house and cry to go home because her teeth hurt anymore! And hopefully she keeps this up... Crackers instead of candy, and fruit instead of junt!

Unknown said...

Poor Ellie! Oh she is so cute! I hope that's the last of her tooth troubles. No fun!

Summer said...

JOseph had almost the exact sme thing. It is way sad. They didnt have to pull anything. but 3 mini root canals, 5 pre-cavity fillings, caps (we call his metal teeth)

It was no fun. I know! And my others havn't had any issues.

Hopefully she'll be your only one with dental issues. You shouldn't have to deal with it more than once I say!

And I love love those kids dentists, dont you? We went to Marchaud, because he advertises on channel 8 and Joseph knew the ad. lol

See it Try it Love it said...

That is awful, course good that they got her out. When I took Jackson we couldn't get him to go under and we had to leave crying.

Cory♥Jessica said...

O my goodness Suzanne, that is so sad. I feel so bad for Ellie and you. Luckily for me Audrey hasnt ever had a cavity yet, but I dont know how that has happened cuz she eats lots of sugar. Im so glad that she is felling better and happy again cuz gosh what a day.

The Tyler's said...

That is so crazy! I haven't taken my kids to the dentist yet...now I'm so nervous!!

chris+amber said...

Yuck! I hate it when kids have to have surgeries. They freak me out too. Ellie did a great job! I love the pic of her asleep and STILL feeding her baby. Kids bounce back so fast, it's crazy!

Hollin said...

That is so, so, sad! Poor Ellie. That must have been so hard on both of you, although the picture of her laying down feeding her baby asleep is priceless! Kids bounce back so fast, isn't that so good for them and US!!

kemra said...

Poor little Ellie - I'm glad that everything turned out OK! Sorry that you guys had to go through that - but it's a good thing you got it taken care of. Hope you are all feeling better soon!

Unknown said...

glad ellie is feeling better! that sounds like it would hurt really bad, so props to ellie for taking the pain! oh & i'm SO sad about matta's! i couldn't go enjoy it for one last time so i told my family to go & enjoy it for me. that is the only bad thing about being in a foreign country, the food is not the same!

the cummard family said...

i've yet to take q or cons to the dentist....but i'm sure it will be just as bad as el x2.

the cummard family said...

i wonder why the time on my last comment says 12:16, when it's really 1:16. that's really wierd.

Katie Peterson said...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I just took Caleb to the dentist....yuck!!! I just did a post on it....2 crowns & 1 filling!! The cost is OUTRAGEOUS!!! Your not the only one with a child who has horrible, soft teeth!

Sparks Fam said...

Oh my, I just read this ( I'm a little behind on blogging right now) Poor Ellie! I'm glad she is doing fine! I am like you, I get light headed if I see anything medical-ish! Even reading this made me feel funny, what wimps we are.