Monday, December 26, 2011

Shun the Sun 2011



 In September, I started debating to run a long "race" again. 
After adding a mile each week, I decided I was going to run an other 1/2 marathon.
So, in November I did it. 
I ran my 2nd 1/2 marathon.
I am not fast. My goal was to STAY POSITIVE with myself the whole time.
The run started at Hohokam (?) Stadium on Brown & Center (?) in Mesa.
The night before the race I tried to look up the course. I saw it was all along a canal. We would run from the stadium to Baseline... and back!
I ran alone. I wasn't sure where I was, what street I was near, or anything. At one point, I started really looking around wondering where I was.. Then I realized I was on Lindsay, right after Gilbert. MY HOOD! I was so excited to hit HARMONY PARK! That was our 1/2 way point. That was a great feeling. 
During training, I read to make it easier on my body (mostly knees) & on my time- do the training of run 10 minutes, walk one minute. I trained the whole time like that, once in a while running the first 2-3 miles & then doing "10-1". Once I was running, I had energy & felt great. I decided to keep running until I convinced myself to do what I had trained. So mile 8 I started doing "10-1". I was more prepared for this race- mentally. So much of the running is so mental. 
ANYWAY...
 Here I am finishing up the race. 
Emotional, seeing my mom & Ellie & Lance there cheering me on at the finish line.





Ellie was excited for the FUN all around the stadium.

PLUS, her & dad did a race of their own!
.. literally ..



 Some of the other racers (their first 1/2 for all 3):
Victoria, a friend/mom from the gym.
 My friend, Mele Larson.

My cousin, Amy Johnson.


I love the feeling of accomplishment & being proud of others crossing the finish line, too.

No comments: