Sunday, January 18, 2009

It Was a HOMEMADE Christmas

Every few years, my family has made the rule: "It has to be homemade."...

Last Christmas we all enjoyed the "off year" of not making gifts & made it a pajama Christmas. (we all recieved a new pair of p.j.'s) We all loved that, so I think that most of us have agreed that every other year (odd #) should be: "HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS", and the off years (even #) should be: "PAJAMA CHRISTMAS".

Even though it takes so many hours & extra stress- homemade gifts mean so much more.

You know what I mean?



It was a perfect year for so many of us (everywhere) to spend less on gifts. I loved seeing how creative people were all season.

Here's some of my favorite HOMEMADE gifts & ideas. ... (that I took pictures of, anyway)


Man! How cute! - {chuckle, chuckle} I love how these turned out.

Super JoAnn's has these large letters that only cost about $9 each. (PLUS- if you use a 40% off or 50% off coupon ---- do the math! They are cheap.) The letters are fragile, because they are made of paper mache (sp?)- so let that be the warning.

I made my mom JOY in red & white polka dots to match her Christmas decor, & I also made my mother in-law JOY in red & sprinkled glitter over the letters. (Sorry- no picture- I forgot! I thought it turned out really cute!)

Someday I'll have to make myself some words.

I hope you can be inspired to make some fun words- if so- please share!

(Maybe we'll have to make these letters a PROJECT IDEA on She's Got It All!)


My sister, Shalae is super crafty, so creative & is such a perfectionist. Anything she does turns out amazing!
(Shalae actually made this for my mom for her birthday in November. She has been wanting to make this for a few years now... she even bought the frame a couple years ago!)
She e-mailed everyone in the family & asked us "What does Christmas mean to you, & what are some of your favorite memories of Christmas with our family?".
Then check out what she made:

I loved seeing (and eating) all of the homemade treats & sweets from neighbors & friends.
I saw these peppermint cookies on a magazine cover & I loved how festive they looked, so I made some, too. (P.S.- I liked the look better than the taste.)
Shalae spends many hours making these delish peppermint cookies for loved ones! (Some of the best cookies) Of course the presentation is so cute.
My mom also made cute cards & yummy sweets for friends & neighbors:

Here are some fun hair clips & jewelry that I made for Ellie.
OH, and I made Roxy some, too.


My crafy sister in-law, Crystal made Ellie this adorable black & purple tutu.....
I obviously need to take a better picture.
Elle couldn't wait to wear it to dance, so she put it on New Year's night & even fell asleep in it! Ellie (and I) love this tutu!
My mom got down & crafty.... and personal.
We all loved these! Her & my dad came up with "things they love" about each family. Each one was so different, so fun, & so sweet. She even made us matching cards. GO MOM!!

Oops, it's blurry... This was for my Grandma & Grandpa Sherwood.
My oldest sister, Auburn (who thinks she is NOT crafty- but she is) made each of us these adorable signs!
Aren't these so cute?
Shalae took many hours & made everyone really cute scrapbook pages.
I love it, since I never have time to scrapbook & I take lots of pictures.
I made these necklaces for my sisters & my mom. (by request.. *wink)


My youngest sister, Alisse (another sis who only thinks she is not crafty-but she is) spent lots of time putting together a calendar for each of us!

She had some help from Snapfish (?) & my mom. I am so glad to have this calendar! Every page has lots of differnent pictures of our whole family... June just happens to be The Cummards month of photos!
Another crafty sister in-law - Summer (& actually her husband, too- Jon) made us these letters & all the different symbols that make up the letter "O". HOME- they cut everything out from wood & painted them & everything else! Lots of work- & so fun for every season!
Ellie & Lance have their very own mini scrapbook of JUST the 2 of them, so I made a few more pages for them to add to it. - Nothing special... actually I made them last minute after midnight on Christmas Eve... I guess that was Christmas morning!

Speaking of Lance- my great husband also has some craftiness in him!! (he had some help from his mom & our sister in-law Syd.... who were inspired by Nie)
I love this gift.
For every simple reason.
I love the detailed frame, I love the black & white, I love how Lance & I can see that it is Ellie right away, I love how cute Elle is even in black & white-and her little profile... and so much more.
I put in on the wall-(for now)- and one day Lance was looking at it & I heard him chuckle & say "that is so cute, it really looks just like her".
I can not wait for Lance to make his profile & mine.
Another funny thing is that I asked Noah: "Noah, look- who is this?" Noah guessed: "Umm, you..??" I laughed & said: "no, it's Elle." Noah replied "Well, it looks just like you, too".... he continued to try to explain that Ellie looks like me, so it looks like both of us.... he was confusing himself- but I know what he meant.

Lance also helped me make this cupcake tank top for Elle Belle. (the iron-on was from JoAnn's)
He made it so fast. Ellie loves it, esp. since Lance "made it".
And... as mentioned in previous post, my awesome visiting teaching partner & friend, Shellene helped me make a life size Brad. ha ha!!
There were some other gifts that I forgot to take pictures of & I didn't mention- but I loved everything.
Thank you so much for all those who spent their time making their gifts a little extra special with their hands, hearts, or time. Everything was special!
Watch for upcoming PROJECT IDEAS!!!
If you have any projects, or crafty gifts that you would like to share- I would love to see & hear about them! Please send them to suzycummard@msn.com OR customerservice@shesgotitall.net !!!

12 comments:

•stephanie• said...

just wondering if i could pleeeeeeeeease be an honorary sherwood. i want in on all that homemade goodness. you guys have all the fun.

jewly said...

What cute homemade Christmas gifts. I may have to steal a few ideas for next year.

Carroll Family said...

I love these ideas - one of these days I'm going to get brave enough to do a "homemade Christmas"!

The Garlock's said...

How fun, what a great thing to do it homemade, and I love everyones gifts, too cute!

Lori Taylor said...

Cute Homemade Christmas gifts. What a great idea. It looks like alot of time and effort was put into your gifts. How fun!!!!

Jamie W. said...

What a crafty family you have. Those gifts are soooo adorable, all of them! Can't wait to see your project ideas.

MichelleY said...

So fun and crafty. I love it all especially your JOY letters and Shalae's collage. You girls are so creative! Can you have my name for Christmas next year?

See it Try it Love it said...

Wow your blog is like IDEA central. I can't wait to make all those things. I am glad you are sooooo Crafty.

Sopha said...

I would never survive a homeade christmas at your guys' house! wow! i "tried" to put together a scrapbook for phil for his birthday ahaha-not so great! Im jealous-all the stuff is so cute!

chris+amber said...

i can rely on your family for craft ideas. what a fun christmas for you guys!!!

Brittney Smith said...

Sooo cute! Love it! It really makes you think what the other people would like.

Sarah S. said...

I promise I'm not some scary person stalking you. I just REALLY want that "candy shoppe" sign. Can I order it from you?

stephaa@hotmail.com